HISTORY OF THE RED BANK MEN’S CLUB
In the late 1940’s, a group of men living in the greater Red Bank area met weekly to engage in a friendly game of bowling. Since they enjoyed each other’s company and fellowship while bowling, it was decided that they had the nucleus to form a social club. A Constitution was adopted and the Red Bank Men’s Club was founded. It was incorporated by the State of New Jersey on February 11, 1949.
The purpose for which the corporation was formed was to foster the highest type of social relations among its members and the community, to furnish a period of relaxation and enjoyment as relief from the routine duties of its members; to present a united front in the promotion and advancement of any cause considered worthy by the majority of its members.
Early community activities included assistance in the Westside YMCA programs, forerunner of the present Red Bank Community Center. Club members provided instruction in electronics, photography, basketball, and were tutors in all subjects taught in elementary and high schools. At Christmas time, members arranged, with the YMCA’s cooperation, a party for the youngsters of the West Side. Generous Red Bank merchants supplied toys, candy and other goodies.
Over the years, the club has given financial support to the Red Bank Little League, as well as physical support as managers and umpires. Churches of the community and other organizations have received financial support as well. Scholarships have been given to various students that have gone on to various Colleges and Universities. Members of the Club have also worked with at-risk in the Red Bank Middle School.
The Red Bank Men’s Club realizes that there is much more work to be done and as the years go by, our efforts will be strengthened. With the help of God, and the support of our many friends, we will continue to strive for our goal: “Service to the Community”.
We are grateful to you, our friends and neighbors, for your generous support of the Red Bank Men’s Club Fiftieth Anniversary celebration (in 1999) and our many initiatives on behalf of our community.